15.12.13

The Best Gift Ever

IMG_3671 (2)

As odd as this may sound, the best gift I have ever received resides in the utensil drawer in my kitchen.  It didn't cost a fortune and it wasn't a difficult item to procure.

It was the gift of being heard, though to you it might only look like a stainless steel measuring cup.  I can't remember if it was for Mother's Day or Christmas; the occasion really doesn't matter.  I was a young mother just settling into my domestic role, a role which required (or so I once believed) the memorization of the recipe for chocolate chip cookies. 

3/4 cup of white sugar and 3/4 cup brown sugar.  My set of measuring cups jumped from 1/2 cup to 1 cup, so I had to measure my sugar with two different cups: 1/4 cup plus 1/2 cup.  No big deal, of course, but I happened to mention my silly sugar measuring dilemma to my husband, and he, ever the problem solver, fixed my problem with a set of odd sized measuring cups. 

During this season of giving and receiving, it is easy to be consumed by gifts.  Thoughtful gifts require just that: thought.  As I make my list and check it twice, I remember that the best gift I have received is the gift of two ears, listening; two eyes, seeing; one heart, loving.  This I can give freely.


********
 

He sees in me what I feel in myself.  
What I feel is immeasurable.   
 


6 comments:

Lori said...

<3 lovely.

of course, because i am me, i thought of the episode of seinfeld where elaine just wanted a bench for her bday. ;o)

Dawn Suzette said...

Yes! This is really wonderful, Molly!

beth said...

what everyone desires deep down... to be heard and understood. i love the thoughtfulness with which truly listening enables.

house on hill road said...

yes!

patricia said...

I love this. But I really want to know more about that mermaid.

Molly said...

She was also a gift! She's my favorite bottle opener, and I use her almost every day. With a flip of her tail, she opens up happiness.